Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Piggy to Hold

Tai's reaction upon seeing Piggy again.

This morning I received a package in the mail from Iagarcia Collectibles. That would be the place that I found on Amazon, one of the last two places selling Piggy online. Thank you, Internet!

I thought there would be more places selling Piggy, but he's not that easy to find. Apparently, in the years that Piggy has been in existence, he has since been "retired" from the Ty Pluffie line and is now a collector's item, i.e., he was on sale for four times the original price of $10. Plus shipping and handling, Piggy2 cost $46.

Part of the reason he cost so much, according to seller, was that Piggy was a "Mint product with mint swing tag and tush tag. Pluffie has been protected with tag protector and stored in plastic since purchase." This Piggy had indeed been stored in a plastic bag as his fur felt brand new and looked shiny and spotless. Would Tai notice? The first thing I had to do was cut off the mint swing tag, which probably completely devalued the collector's value of Piggy. That did not matter, though, as you can see in the video below, this Piggy is priceless. . . .



After that initial hug, Tai hardly let the new Piggy out of his grip the rest of the night. He fed Piggy cheese puffs. He gave him water. He sat Piggy down next to him at their little table and Tai banged the surface with alternating hands like a drum. Then he took Piggy's paw and lightly banged the table. Tai played a song on his little keyboard for Piggy. Tai also gave Mommy and Daddy great big hugs throughout the night for bringing Piggy back home. He held on to Piggy tight while reading a bedtime story. And Tai twirled Piggy's familiar tail and fell asleep without much fuss.

"Now I can sleep."

Tai didn't have the words to express how happy he was tonight, just as he didn't have the words to express his sadness while Piggy was gone. We could see it, though. Tai was very, very happy. It was as if he felt whole again. What Tai doesn't know about the new Piggy doesn't matter. It's only the adults who miss the original Piggy. We hope the homeless man is taking good care of him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I had a tail so Tai can love me as much as Piggy!

Luke Hokama said...

Awesome. 46 bones for a 10 dollar toy. The things we do as parents. This just illustrates, I think, that there's almost no price for our kids' happiness. I am thankful Piggy has returned from his trip.

thelittlemonk said...

so glad piggy's back! tai really likes his tail, doesn't he? soooo precious!