Friday, May 15, 2009

It's Official!

PhD seals of approval.

As of this morning, Thu is officially a doctor! Here she is outside the graduate division office after turning in her dissertation with her classmate and fellow scholastic warrior, Lara, holding an official document and a lollipop. More on this amazing journey later . . . Now we've got a graduation to get ready for.

What I can post in the meantime are some of the facts, such as the title of Thu's dissertation: "Cancer Risk in Cosmetologists and Manicurists Licensed in California." And her official degree: Doctor of Philosophy in Epidemiology in the Graduate Division of the University of California, Berkeley.

And here's something that I think some of the non-scientists can enjoy reading—the acknowledgments. It says a lot about the making of this dissertation, and in some ways, much more.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

I am grateful to my family, colleagues, faculty and friends who have provided me with so much support during my doctoral training. I would like to thank Dr. Peggy Reynolds for her time, mentorship and wisdom; without her, I probably would not have gone back to school. I also want to acknowledge my wonderful co-workers who have been so supportive these past four years and well before I entered the doctoral program (Debbie Goldberg, Bob Gunier, Andrew Hertz, Susan Hurley, Michael Layefsky, David Nelson, Rudy Rull, Theresa Saunders and Julie von Behren).

There are a number of people at the school who have helped me survived the last four years of school. Professor Patricia Buffler, my academic advisor, has supported me since the beginning and has always provided me with sound advice. Professors Steve Selvin, Ellen Eisen and Katharine Hammond have generously given many hours to help me with my analysis. I am extremely grateful to my fellow students who have been a lifeline throughout the program (Lara Misegades, Alice Pressman, Trisha Hue, Alex Hernandez, Dawn Mackey, Vincent Yau and Amy Padula).

From the bottom of my heart, I want to appreciate my amazing family who has stuck by my side at every step. To my father, Trang Quach, who sacrificed so much so that his children could get the educational opportunities that he could never have imagined for himself. To my sister, Uyen Quach, who has cheered me on and supported me in every way. To my younger brother, Daniel Quach, who stepped in to babysit at a moment's notice. And to my older brother, Chuong Quach, who gave support in his own way. To my parents-in-law, Mason and Florence Tachibana, who have truly become my second set of parents. To my darling son Tai who has brought a smile to my face since the day he entered the world. And to my husband and love of my life, Gavin Tachibana, who has read through every single word of my dissertation with love and encouragement.

The person to whom I dedicate my dissertation and degree is my dear mother, Diem Hua. Her life gave me hope, her struggle gave me strength and her death gave me courage to explore why so many cosmetologists and manicurists like her were becoming sick and dying. To her and to other workers like her, I commit to continue this work.

No comments: