Saturday, April 11, 2009

Birthday dinner

Birthday candle extinguisher applause

I was once in Ensanada walking down the street with friends when a gringo standing in front of a restaurant called out to us, "Hey, you should try this restaurant. It's just like a sushi bar." Wait, is he being racist, we thought? But we went into the restaurant anyway. And indeed, it was like a sushi bar, but with tacos. The chef kept serving fresh, made-to-order fish tacos, the tastiest Mexican food I've ever eaten.

Years later, it is with the knowledge that Mexican and Japanese cuisine can in some way cross over that I made Mexican food for Thu's birthday a few weeks ago, and served it with a plate of sashimi. Hamachi and chicken mole, salmon and pumpkin seed sea bass, they all go well together. And chocolate cake. Don't forget the cake.

What's in Tai's mouth?

No comments: