Thursday, January 17, 2008

Tai rolling along

Tai keeps rolling right along, literally. He can babble a mile a minute, when he's on. And though he can't crawl forward yet, he propels himself sideways and rolls to his destination. Day care seems to have speeded up Tai's social development. He has a couple of 10-month-old babies there he "plays" with. I hear he plays by watching them. Once he gets moving, I'm sure he'll have even more fun. . . .

Back when recalled toys from China were front-page news, a friend asked me if I watch the news differently as a father. I said I did, but I didn't realize how much until I read this story last week. On a Thursday afternoon, a boy in Oakland was practicing piano at a lesson when he was hit by a stray bullet fired from across the street after a robbery went awry. The bullet tore through his abdomen and bisected his spinal cord. He's now paralyzed from the waist down.

Before, I would have thought this was a sad story, but seeing it now, it made me sick to my stomach. It's absolutely sad, a parent's nightmare. The boy's family seems to be very strong and forgiving. They've set up a website for their son: Chris Rodriguez.

No comments: