Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tai vs. Tiger Woods' kid

vs.

I met Tiger Woods on a flight to Boston in 1992. I was the only one who recognized him at the time. Flying with his father Earl by his side, Tiger was still a teenager, known mostly just to golf fans and young golfers in California.

I asked Tiger for his autograph and he was very kind, asking if I golfed too. Yes, I said, in the same junior golf league that he once participated in, as if he should have found that news interesting.

He signed the only piece of paper I had on me, a large blank envelope. He even asked where on the envelope he should sign.

From that point on, I've been a huge Tiger fan. And because we're the same age, I've felt that there's been a parallel between our lives.

Well, not really. But the one thing that I matched Tiger on was getting married at a similar age. And our wives got pregnant around the same time. Therefore, we would be going through similar challenges as new fathers, right? It's not like he has more resources than me.

Tai came out almost two weeks before Tiger's baby. I was very curious to see photos of his child. And now that I have . . . I think I've finally bested Tiger at something.

Sure, his daughter may have world-class genes from the best athlete in the world and a model mother. But she's not as cute as our Tai!

No comments: